Wednesday

Future Tenses Review





Will - future is used:
1.to talk about future actions we can't influence or control
The train is late so I won't be in the office until 9:00
2.to foretell future actions or to express hopes, expectations, fears, offers, promises, refusals,... .
Key wordsI’m sure, I believe, I expect, I hope, I suppose, I think, I'm afraid, I wonder, I fear, I worry,
I promise, I guess or perhaps, possibly, surely, probably, maybe.
3.with I / we for spontaneous reactions or making promises
I shall is sometimes used instead of I will.
The going to - future is used:
1.to talk about future things you intend to do, plan, oder decided to do
Did you know that Sarah is in hospital?
No, I didn’t. I’ll visit her this afternoon. (spontaneous reaction »»» will - future)
Yes, I’m going to visit her next month. (planned action  »»» going to - future)
2.to foretell future actions for which we have proofs that they are going to happen.
The present progressive is used:
to talk about future things that are fixed, planned or definitely decided.
The speaker must refer to the future and not to the present.

I am visiting my grandparents tomorrow.
What are you doing next Friday?
The present simple is used:

to talk about times of arrivals and departures of traffic and times of events.
The train leaves at 10.20.
The bus goes at 8.30.
When does the concert begin?

When talking about the future use "will" for sudden decisions and for making requests.

Use "be going to" when you think something might happen in the very near future or when you are still thinking.




http://www.grammarmindmaps.com/future-tense/





  



            



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.